There are many sides to Sawyer and, as with most people, sometimes he's good and sometimes he's not. But overall, is Sawyer a good guy or a bad guy? What do you think?
Argument 1 - Sawyer's a Bad Guy
In the beginning Sawyer gave us lots of reasons to think he was a bad guy. He was a real jerk to everyone and stole and hoarded things from the dead passengers. Here is some of what he did:
- Sawyer is real jerk after the plane crash. He accuses Sayid of being a terrorist. He also takes the Marshal's badge and gun, and steals off the bodies in the plane. (Ep: 1x1, Pilot Part 1), (Ep: 1x3, Tabula Rasa)
- Hangs out with Kate instead of telling her that Jack has been trapped in a cave-in. (Ep: 1x7, The Moth)
- He won't say anything about Shannon's asthma meds until Kate kisses him, and then he says that he doesn't have them. (Ep: 1x8, Confidence Man)
- He outs Kate being a criminal when she threatens to take his place on the raft. (Ep: 1x22, Born to Run)
- Sawyer pulls a long con on the survivors in order to get control of the guns. (Ep: 2x13, The Long Con)
- He won't let Sun look through the medical supplies until she tells him that she needs a pregnancy test. (Ep: 2x16, The Whole Truth)
- He kills Anthony Cooper. (Ep: 3x18, D.O.C.)
Sawyer has some very good qualities as well, though. He cares about Kate, he cares about Claire and Hurley, and he and Juliet seem to do well together. He did a lot of growing up during the three years that the Oceanic 6 were gone. Some of his good qualities include:
- After finding the boar who'd been messing with him, Sawyer doesn't shoot the boar. (Ep: 1x16, Outlaws)
- He reads a magazine to baby Aaron when Charlie believes that hearing Sawyer talk is the only thing that will keep the baby from crying.
- Knowing he may never see Jack again, Sawyer tells Jack that he'd met his father and that Jack's father was proud of him. (Ep: 1x23, Exodus Part 1)
- He tries to save Walt when Walt is kidnapped off the raft. (Ep: 1x24, Exodus Part 2)
- He gives up the whereabouts of the guns so that they can get drugs in order to make Libby more comfortable in her death. (Ep: 2x21, ?)
- Sawyer is really torn up over Ana-Lucia's death. (Ep: 2x22, Three Minutes)
- He gives Kate a fish biscuit when she gets put in the cage across from him. (Ep: 3x1, A Tale of Two Cities)
- Sawyer seems to genuinely care about Kate and fights for her with the Others. (Ep: 3x2, The Glass Ballerina)
- Sawyer doesn't tell Kate that the Others have put a pacemaker in him to prevent them from putting one in her as well. (Ep: 3x4, Every Man For Himself)
- Sawyer and Kate help Alex free Karl from room 23. (Ep: 3x7, Not in Portland)
- He tells Karl that Karl should go after Alex. (Ep: 3x9, Stranger in a Strange Land)
- He teaches Jin English. (Ep: 3x10, Tricia Tanaka is Dead)
- He goes with Juliet back to the beach to help Jin, Sayid, and Bernard, who'd stayed behind to fight the Others. (Ep: 3x22, Through the Looking Glass)
- He tries to talk to Hurley about Charlie's death. (Ep: 4x1, The Beginning of the End)
- He risks his life to get Claire when the freighter folk come into Dharmaville and he continues to be very protective of her. (Ep: 4x9, The Shape of Things to Come)
- He doesn't want Hurley to go with Locke's group and threatens Locke not to let Hurley get hurt. (Ep: 4x9, The Shape of Things to Come)
- He goes with Jack to save Hurley from Locke and the Others. (Ep: 4x12, There's No Place Like Home Part 1)
- He jumps out of the helicopter so that the rest can make it to the freighter (though Cassidy doesn't see this is as good, but as a way to get away from Kate). (Ep: 4x13, There's No Place Like Home Part 2)
- Sawyer is concerned about Locke when Locke goes down the well. (Ep: 5x5, This Place is Death)
- Sawyer seems to be a good leader as the head of security for Dharma in 1977. He treats Juliet well. (Ep: 5x9, Namaste)
Sawyer's life then became about revenge and he ended up becoming the man that he despised, conning people out of their money. Sawyer is a good person, but does things in order to get people to hate him because he feels he's not worthy.
After living in the Dharma Initiative for 3 years, Sawyer seems to have grown up a lot and gotten past some of his issues.