Pre-Airing - The Man Behind the CurtainOriginal Airdate: 5/9/07
Written by: Elizabeth Sarnoff & Drew Goddard
Directed by: Bobby Roth
Episode Flashback Character: Ben
Season 3 Episode Guide
Locke meets Jacob, but do we?
The Man Behind the Curtain Photo Gallery
Photos of young Ben, present Locke, and more!
Who You Should Know Before You Watch The Man Behind the Curtain
Tom, Alex, Mikhail, Richard Alpert, and Naomi.
Post-Airing - The Man Behind the CurtainHighlights
Baby Ben, boy Ben, big Ben.
The Man Behind the Curtain Full Recap
Ben is born, Ben's birthday, the man behind the curtain, Namaste, the recorder, Mikhail, happy birthday, Dad, the hostiles, Where's Juliet?, Jacob is real, the present, ash, the recording, Ben and the hostile, Jacob or show?, gas, and What did Jacob say?.
The Man Behind the Curtain Audio Recap
Listen from the site or download to your computer or mp3 player.
Understanding The Man Behind the Curtain
The Man Behind the Curtain Quotable QuotesLook for these quotes in quote boxes in the The Man Behind the Curtain Full Recap to see where and when they happened.
- Roger: "Emily, no one knows we're out here. We got to get back. Can you hold the baby? Hold him tight."
- Locke: "You said that if I killed my father, you'd tell me everything I wanted to know about the island." He drops the body at Ben's feet. "So, why don't you start at the beginning?"
- Locke: "How convenient. You know what I think, Ben? I think there is no Jacob. I think your people are idiots if they believe you take orders from someone else. You are the man behind the curtain, the Wizard of Oz. And you're a liar."
- Roger: "Goodspee told me you people were doing experiments changing the world. I didn't come her to clean up after you!"
- Locke: "Ben's not going anywhere with you. He and I are going to see Jacob."
- Roger: "I don't give a damn about his education! If I'm going to get shot at, I want hazard pay. I want another thirty grand."
- Ben: "There's something you should know, John, before we go. Whether or not you think he's the Wizard of Oz, I can assure you that Jacob is very, very real. And we're going to go see him. And I can assure you he's not going to like it. In fact, I have a feeling he's going to be very angry. And that's why my hand was shaking, because this is not a man you go and see. This is a man who summons you."
- Sawyer: "Good person, huh? And you're basing that one what? Wouldn't involve her taking you to one of their medical stations, would it now, Mrs. Kwon?"
- Juliet: "You want to burn me at the stake?" Juliet says. "Here I am. But first, turn the tape over and press play."
- Jacob: "Help me."
- Ben: "You know, I've missed her too, maybe as much as you have. But the difference is, that for as long as I can remember, I've had to put up with you. And doing that required a tremendous amount of patience. Goodbye, Dad."
- Ben: "This is where I came from. These are my people. The Dharma Initiative. They came here seeking harmony. But they couldn't even co-exist with the island's inhabitants. When it became clear that one side had to go, one side had to be purged, I did what I had to do. I was one of the people who was smart enough to make sure I didn't end up in that ditch. Which makes me considerably smarter than you, John."
- Ben: "Well, I certainly hope he helps you, John."