1. Entertainment

Unanswered 'Lost' Question - Why Didn't Ben Go Into the Church?

By July 26, 2010

At the end of the final episode, 6x17, The End, the Losties gathered at the church before moving on to whatever was next. Ben was there and obviously invited, but he did not go in. Does this mean he was evil and could not go into the light with the others, or somehow or other, he is still alive and could not enter?

My answer is that he was just not ready to move on. He had found his place with Danielle and Alex and needed to work through those feelings and make up for past issues. Also, he may have wanted to wait until they were ready to move on so that he could move on with them.

What do you think?

Comments

July 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(1) lostfan says:

I don’t think he was still evil. I think he realized he was dead and that he was just waiting for Alex and Danielle. He really loved Alex as a daughter and I dont think he wanted to move on without her.

July 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(2) MTO says:

totally agree, he was waiting for danielle and alex

July 26, 2010 at 5:08 pm
(3) LostinMelancholy says:

I am not as forgiving of Ben’s intentions as most. My reason for why Ben did not enter the LOST survivors’ gathering was that Ben would have to face all the survivors’ he committed grievous wrongs to.

Recalling the incidents:
–Ben, because he was jealous of John Locke’s connection to the island, brutally strangled him
–Ben, because of his rage, killed mercenary Keamy, thus dooming the crew and survivors aboard the freighter
–Ben, for his own purpose, turned Sayid into an assasin against Widmore’s associates
–Ben, at various times, tricked Locke into sabotaging the survivors’ (and Juliet’s) attempts to leave the island
–Ben, with the help of the ‘Others’ orchestrated the mass murder of the Dharma Initiative
–Ben orchestrated the kidnapping and torture of Jack, Sawyer, and Kate on Hydra Island

These are just some of Ben’s ‘dirty laundry’ that I am sure prevents Ben from facing the survivors’ gathering. Ben has a lot of soul searching to do before he moves on–which when compared to Michael Dawson’s condemnation as a ‘whisperer’ on the island–has no comparison.

July 26, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(4) LostinMelancholy says:

[Postscript]
Don’t get me wrong–I love the Ben character (finely portrayed by Michael Emerson)–I just like him better as the crafty, scheming, manipulator of all he comes in contact with. Not so much when Ben becomes cute’n cuddly.

July 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm
(5) LAVERNE1974 says:

I don’t necessarily think that Ben was waiting to move on with them – I think that he wanted to enjoy as much “happy” time as he could, with Danielle and Alex in blissful ignorance of what he had done on (and off) the island. I’m not sure that I’d like to see the scene where Danielle and Alex get their island flashbacks!

July 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm
(6) LostinMelancholy says:

Lets evr’yone second ‘Laverne 1974′s’ sentiment–’I'm not sure that I’d like to see the scene where Danielle and Alex get their island flashbacks!’

Ben most certainly will a lot to explain to them.

July 27, 2010 at 9:52 am
(7) meanjean says:

I’ll agree that smiling Ben outside the church
wasn’t no fool, he was afraid if he went inside he would grow a tail and be dragged straigt to hell by the devil. Included to the list above, he killed Jacob, which probably is some real bad ju-ju.
None of his actions on the island were for the good of mankind, they were all made just to bring him closer to being number one. He would have had to have hung around with Hurley and done some mighty good things for years and years to erase all the evil he had done in his quest for power.

July 27, 2010 at 11:21 am
(8) Lostaway Bonnie says:

I second (third?) Laverne!

I think Ben redeemed himself between the time we saw and the time of the church.

July 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm
(9) Cyn says:

When Ben declined the invitation to enter the church he said something like “I’ve got a few things to work out (or on?) first.” He seemed very much at peace with his decision. I didn’t sense any fear or deception in him and his response to the invitation. Like so many others in LOST, I think he “still had work to do” before he would be ready to move on.

July 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm
(10) MTO says:

if he could face locke over murdering him, i’m sure he could face everyone else

July 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm
(11) lisa says:

Ben needed to work through his issues with both Danielle and Alex. Redemption is hard work!

July 30, 2010 at 6:29 am
(12) LostinMelancholy says:

Ben must have felt, as I did, the ‘gathering’ was not his place to be. The ‘gathering’ was for the ‘Oceanic 815′ survivors and their eventual love ones.

Ben’s eventual ‘gathering’ will come with his own set of characters.

August 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm
(13) nosoupforuoneyr@aol.com says:

I agree he was waiting for at least Alex and maybe danielle as well. Certainly before one can “move on” you have to have forgiveness in your heart. You could not “move on” still having unresolved issues such as anger or resentment etc. Therefore everyone inside would have to have “forgiven” Ben. Maybe though he hadn’t forgiven himself???