1. Entertainment

Unanswered 'Lost' Question - How Does the Island Have Special Powers?

By June 14, 2010

Well, one thing is for sure, that is one mysterious island! Why is the island so mysterious and why is it hidden? Why do you have to follow certain coordinates to find it? And how can it move? What makes it move? Are there other places that can do the same thing because of the electromagnetism and/or light? Discuss in the comments.

Comments

June 14, 2010 at 7:14 am
(1) LostinMelancholy says:

Bonnie;
Let’s not forget the island’s ‘magical’ healing powers (ie; John Locke disability cured upon the crash, Jin Soo Kwon’s fertility cure on the island, rapid healing of numerous bullet wounds, Ben’s spinal tumor, etc)

June 14, 2010 at 6:40 pm
(2) Lostaway Bonnie says:

Yeah, how did the island do all that? I think it had something to do with the electromagnetism.

June 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm
(3) Elle says:

I’ll say most is electromagnestism…can’t show up in radars and arriving at it has to be done a certain way to avoid over-exposure.

Moving is the real mystery…but I’ve just been satisfied with the explanation that it can do that because it is mysterious :)

June 15, 2010 at 4:02 am
(4) LostinMelancholy says:

Bonnie;
Electromagnetic properties of the island may be the scientific explanation–however I would assume that there is a more powerful and decerning spiritual energy in play–one that allows Locke to walk, and Ben to suffer spinal tumors; heals Locke’s fatal bullet wound (inflicted by Ben at the Dharma gravepit)–certainly a power that is able to pick and choose.

June 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm
(5) Nathalia says:

I think the island’s healing powers have more to do with Jacob’s laws than actually what the island can do. I think Jacob uses the island rather than the island being able to heal people by itself.

June 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(6) LostawayBonnie says:

Yes, I can agree with that. I think the island might have the capabilities, but it’s Jacob who makes the healing happen.

June 15, 2010 at 6:53 pm
(7) WB says:

The island has unusual electromagnetic properties. This may be a natural, non-sentient, earth-grown power source.
It may be extraterrestrial in origin, the product of an advanced technology.
It may be spiritual and sentient in nature.

The island can be moved by means of the wheel that combines the water and light. Whoever moves the wheel gets sent to a different time and place (Ben, Locke) just as Man In Black planned to use it a way off the island.

The electromagnetic anomaly shields the island from being easily discovered or easily reached via boat or sub. This anomaly warps time as well as space, as Daniel measured.

We don’t know what happens with dead people elsewhere (Hurley and Myles seem to be able to communicate with the dead off-island in the main story line anyway) But dead souls are trapped on the island if they didn’t come to terms with what they did in life.

Mother and Jacob seemed to have powers that could make people unable to be injured and to make them immortal. Some on the island are miraculously healed of paralysis, infertility and terminal cancer with no explanation — whether it is Jacob or just the effects of the island. Others seem to have been healed cue to a promise made by Jacob. And Sayid comes back to life (although a bit of a zombie) after drowning in the Temple water.

June 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm
(8) Eric says:

Was the Island ever really real. Was the first crash real or just a figment of everyone’s spirit / imagination.

As I see it the Island was simply a story telling setting for the spiritual experiences that the primary characters “experienced”

Without a plausible explanation – the writers have left me with the conclusion that this was a fantasy that occurred in each character’s mind and the Island was merely a stage for the play to unfold

June 18, 2010 at 3:44 am
(9) Diane says:

Yes, Eric!!! I so agree with you! I have been saying this for the whole 6 seasons! The whole entire thing was the “afterlife” of these main characters. When they died, how they died is all up for speculation. The writers devised a clever scheme of keeping us guessing the whole time – but I never could shake the feeling that “lost” was “lost souls” trying to rectify their “lives”. It is the only real thing that makes “sense” to me.

June 18, 2010 at 11:54 am
(10) Claude says:

I also agree with Eric. The island was a place for people to resolve karma issues left over from their former earthly lives. The only “real” things were the interactions between the people, the relationships they formed, and the lessons they learned from each other. Their purpose on the island was to help each other to move to the next level of existence.

June 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm
(11) meanjean says:

I like to beleive the island was a real place, not just some spiritual stage where our characters could find answers and redemption after they died.
If it wasn’t real was Walt dead after he escaped with michael. I don’t know maybe he was since he appeared to people on the island. But back on the mainland Walt had aged. Its hard to age after you croak.
For the island to not be a real place, then everyone was dead from the beginning, and that pretty much just sucks.
To me the island was a real place a magical mystical place, maybe home of some of the gods of antiquity, maybe a portion of Atlantis, a Bermuda triangle kind of place where people and things seem to disapear but really don’t.

June 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm
(12) Lostaway Bonnie says:

The island was real and everything that happened to them was real (Christian even said so).

June 18, 2010 at 2:53 pm
(13) Claude says:

Hi, Bonnie.

It seems to me that Christian may not have been speaking of “real” in the physical sense. He said all the people in the church were real, and so was “everything that ever happened to you.” But Christian’s coffin was empty on the island, just as it was empty in the church. Christian said the sideways timeline was something “all of you created so you could find each other,” so the sideways timeline wasn’t real at all. Couldn’t that be true of the island, too, that it was metaphysical rather than physical?

June 18, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(14) Lostaway Bonnie says:

I supposed, but I think the island was real, otherwise, what’s the point?

June 18, 2010 at 3:16 pm
(15) Claude says:

I know what you mean, Bonnie. But if they were already in the afterlife from the start of the series, it might explain several things: Christian’s appearance on the freighter (maybe he was the real Christian); Locke and Rose’s instant recoveries from their respective conditions; and the arrival of Locke’s father on the island. Locke’s father told Sawyer the last thing he remembered was being in an ambulance after a crack-up on the freeway, and then he woke up on the island. Maybe the Dharma people were all dead, too, and were there to resolve their karma.

Of course, this doesn’t explain Ben’s memories of coming to the island as a child, nor Kate and Sawyer’s supposed childhood encounters with Jacob. Nor would it explain anything in the episode “Across the Sea.” So I suppose the writers have left us with a mystery to chew on for as long as we live. LOL.

June 18, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(16) Lostaway Bonnie says:

Yeah, I guess so. Does that mean we each get to chose which version we like best and just figure that is the real answer? LOL. That’s what I’m doing.

June 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm
(17) Claude says:

LOL. I’m doing the same.

June 21, 2010 at 3:56 pm
(18) Lostie Linda says:

Lostaway Bonnie says:
I supposed, but I think the island was real, otherwise, what’s the point?

I don’t think the show loses any of its meaning, message, or excitement if you assume everyone was “dead” after the 815 crash. What happened on the island was very real to them and everything they did still had consequence and meant something…it’s just in a different way and in a different “place” than the life you and I are living right now.

What I took away as the overall message was that “life” goes on and it’s never too late to redeem yourself and change it. Our day-to-day existence in cubicles until death isn’t IT…there is more beyond it that builds on itself as we learn, let go, and move on. I find that incredibly comforting and meaningful. In fact, maybe we’ll all see each other in another life, brotha.

June 21, 2010 at 4:44 pm
(19) meanjean says:

Sometimes it makes sense for all of the characters to be dead, but then… Aaron was born on the island and escapes, is he dead? Walt escapes and ages off island, is he dead.
Was the village full of castaways that MIB lived with already dead?
Jacob appears to Ilana, and she looks pretty rough in the hospital, did she die and then was able to come to the island.
Some folks do die on the island, were they done and then moved on? Was Dharma a dead folks club?
I like it much more for them to have all been actually alive on a moveable magnetic island with polar bears. That makes as much sense as anything else.

June 21, 2010 at 11:08 pm
(20) Lostie Linda says:

If you’re going with the “they’re all dead theory” than anyone that stepped foot on that island was dead…that was the only way to get there in the way that we saw it on the show. So everything we saw on the island, the flash forwards and the flash sideways was all “dead” people. The flash backs were the only thing that may have showed the characters during their “life” (as we commonly know it).

So in the flash sideways, the Losties were going back to a world which they thought was the same world they left when they boarded 815 but it really wasn’t. That explains why it seemed like The Others had so much control in what was going on with Ben/Locke and why they were loitering around everywhere, why Claire’s mom had such a miraculous recovery, and most of all, why they had to go back to the island (and why they shouldn’t have left in the first place). It also brings some comfort to all of those people that were so devastated by Sun and Jin leaving their child or not trying to escape death to raise their child…she was never actually born in the world that you and I live in — only in this new existence kind of like how Jack created David in the flash sideways.

The one piece of the puzzle I haven’t decided on is Penny. Although she never stepped foot on the island, I assume she also had to die at some point in order to spend as much time with Desmond as she did in the flash forwards. I think it would be interesting if that call between the two of them on the freighter was actually them conversing between “realms” if you would…Penny was still alive, and Desmond dead and yet they still found a way to connect and speak to each other. I think that may even be more emotionally charged than just being thousands of miles apart.

I agree that it is not the simplest way to think of the show and may not seem to be the most comforting to some people, but then it all comes down to your own personal perspective. I often go back and rewatch something only to find completely new meaning or insight simply because I happen to be in a different place in life…

P.S. When you consider that maybe they were ALL dead it also doesn’t seem so weird that Hurley and Miles could talk to dead people, does it? :-)

June 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm
(21) Lost Man says:

After reading these comments and thinking about them I find a need to “respond”. I’m sorry but I don’t think that they were “dead” as we know the term “dead” when 815 crashed. The producers and writers consistently said that they were not dead, they were not in hell, and they were not in purgatory. That they were truly alive in the sense of the word alive as it means to you and me in this world today. I like what some of you have posited about the possibility that they were all physically dead from day #1 but it just doesn’t fit. And if it don’t fit, well then.. you must acquit!

June 25, 2010 at 7:02 pm
(22) bfm says:

Alive, really? they drop 40,000 ft and survive????
Not likely!