1. Entertainment

Another Look at 'What Kate Does'

By February 10, 2010

What Kate Does brought us a bit of negativity. In general, fans just didn't like the episode, though it seems to be doing okay in the polls.

In the comments, hunter1968 called the episode boring and Regula Oblique agreed and even went as far as to say, "I'll take season 3's Expose with Nikki and Paulo getting paralyzed by spiders any day over this sloooooooooooooooowwwww episode." Yikes!

Claire gives her new fugative friend her credit card in Lost episode, What Kate Does
Claire gives her new fugitive friend her credit card
ABC/Mario Perez

Okay, well I will admit that it was a slow episode compared to other Lost episodes, but I thought it had some great moments. I was moved by Sawyer's depth of feeling toward Juliet, intrigued by the infection and being "claimed", and I loved seeing the Rousseau version of Claire. I also like the parallels between the flash-sideways and the different timeline flash forwards.

Carlos had this to say, "It was a bad episode. However, I think it was one which sets things up, which, I believe, will be appreciated more in the future."

Yep, I agree with that. If you look back at past seasons, Lost has a tendency to start off with a bang and then slow down a bit with the second or third episode to set things up for the season.

Comments

February 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm
(1) MTO says:

buddytv.com points out something else thats very interesting

Putting together the pieces, the mystery seems easy to solve at this point. The Smoke Monster is a being capable of existing in multiple forms at once. Any time someone dies on the Island without being buried, their body becomes infected or “claimed” by the Smoke Monster and comes back to life. Slowly the darkness eats away and eventually, the person becomes another separate part of the Smoke Monster.

the only thing is, there are two lockes…hmmm

February 10, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(2) Elle says:

I imagine that Locke is also claimed. Dead bodies seam to mysteriously reappear on the island. In season 5, episode LaFleaur (I think), Amy’s husband Paul, is killed. She is very fearful about giving his body to the Hostiles. In the Hostile-Dharma truce, it states that they must bury the bodies. Is this to prevent them from being claimed?

February 10, 2010 at 11:23 pm
(3) Elyse says:

@MTO

Not only were there two Lockes, but two French Teams. If you remember under the Temple their bodies were there. I wonder if there is another Christian (though he wasn’t in his casket) or another Claire.

February 10, 2010 at 11:54 pm
(4) R. L. says:

I don’t think MIB/Monster needs people to die to imitate them. I think that (like communism) is just a Red Herring. I don’t trust ANYONE has ever appeared out of thin air and disappeared in Lost. ALL OF THEM COULD BE the Monster. After all the Monster was most probably Dave (Hurley’s mental hospital buddy) and Dave isn’t dead. We actually Dave never existed since he was Hurley’s imaginary friend. But according to the producers in a podcast in 2006 “There’s a good chance that you guys saw the Monster this year Season 2, but just didn’t realize you were looking at the Monster.” And how about all the Walts that Shannon kept seeing? Walt isn’t dead. Not to mention the spiders and Kate’s Horse – nobody said the Monster sticks to human form. I trust NOTHING now. I also have no evidence that MIB/Monster is definitely evil and Jacob is good. We still don’t know why Jacob culled those particular Losties or why he dragged the Black Rock (and maybe even Rousseau’s boat) to the island. For all we know, The Man in Black might be the hero.

February 11, 2010 at 12:28 am
(5) Mae says:

Aww, did that many people dislike this episode? I didn’t think it was that bad. :) I do wish that we saw more of what was going on with Ben/Richard/Sun etc, but at least we had many of our questions about Sayid and Claire answered.

February 11, 2010 at 8:23 am
(6) hunter1968 says:

I did watch the episode again last night…I am not changing my feels about it. Let me say it was PURPOSELY stretched out. Now, I think the next 2 episodes will somewhat follow suit. However, being the LOST fan I am… I am confident this will pick up speed. Will I still watch? Each episode twice? HECK YEAH!! The last two years have so mind blowing its hard to switch gears like that episode did… I felt like they could have covered that episode in the first 15 minutes.

February 11, 2010 at 8:24 am
(7) hunter1968 says:

ps… keep up the GREAT work Bonnie!! ;0)

February 11, 2010 at 10:11 am
(8) MTO says:

@ Elyse – there was only one French team. The only guy that was found in the temple was Montand (sp), the guy whose arm got pulled off. Robert and the others were killed by Rousseau at the beach

February 11, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(9) timpramas says:

Kate-centric episodes haven’t been as good as other episodes throughout the run of the series. It is hard to feel sympathy for the character. Her character is self-centered and you don’t find yourself rooting for things to work out well for her. To some extent this is aproblem with jack-centric episodes. His character has different flaws than Kate’s character, but it is difficult to root for Jack or care too much about what happens to him. Contrast that with how many fans feel about Hugo, Desmond, Penny, Sun, Jin, and certain other characters where you are emotionally invested in wanting things to end up well for them.

February 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm
(10) wb says:

Some people complained that LA X moved too fast, too much happened, too much action, not enough character time. Now we have a slower episode that has some great character scenes between Jack and Kate and Sawyer and Kate and just plain Sawyer. We saw some major emotional evolution and relevation — Sawyer realizing the depth of his love for Juliet and basically treating Kate like she wasn’t even there. And the interaction between Jack and Kate as she takes off to track Sawyer is interesting.

All said, I kind of agree the the Kate-centric episodes are usually blah for me, as are most of the Jack-centric episodes. I find Sawyer, Sayid, Locke, Hurley, the Kwons, Desmond/Penny, Charlie, Ben, just about everyone else fascinating. Actually, Claire not so much…

February 12, 2010 at 9:11 am
(11) R. L. says:

Titles still gnawing at me. “What Kate did” “What Kate does” The present tense of “does” makes one think that the flashsideways is how things will turn out for all of them.

February 12, 2010 at 11:43 am
(12) jenfer5264 says:

This happens every year. Slow episodes, but they always have an important message. Loving the flash sideways also, and what Juliette says to Sawyer when she’s dying, will come back at the end, I think. They will end up together in the future.

February 12, 2010 at 1:01 pm
(13) R. L. says:

More MIB as animals – one particular animal with suspicious behavior: Vincent.
From Lostpedia: 1. While Charlie struggled to build the church, Vincent approached with a Virgin Mary statue in his mouth, dropping it at Charlie’s feet. 2.Vincent emerged from the jungle to Hurley and Charlie with a human arm bone in his mouth. The hand on the arm held a key chain with a single key and a rabbit’s foot. He led Hurley back into the woods, and eventually to the DHARMA van from which the arm and key originated. 3. Vincent pulled the blanket off of Paulo and Nikki’s paralyzed bodies when they were presumed dead by the other survivors and awaiting burial. Coincidences, yes, but as Mr. Eko said “Do not confuse coincedence with fate.”

February 12, 2010 at 8:18 pm
(14) renlac says:

I hope this final season will be really ingenious, because there are so many answers to be given. I’ll be getting really worried if next episode will not start getting fire!

February 15, 2010 at 8:11 am
(15) hunter1968 says:

Wow… RL…great observations about Vincent. I didnt put all that together until you did. MIB has really gone to some great lengths over the past seasons to kill Jacob.