1. Entertainment

The Oceanic 6 Lie

By June 8, 2008

In extended footage of episode 4x12, There's No Place Like Home Part 1, Jack explains what happened to the other three they claimed survived the plane crash.

He says Boone Carlyle suffered massive internal injuries and died a few days after the crash. Libby (he doesn't give a last name) didn't make it through the first week. Charlie Pace drowned a few weeks before they were able to leave.

A reporter asks Sayid if he plans to return to Iraq and Sayid says there is nothing for him in Iraq.

The same reporter asks Jack's plans now that he is home and Jack says even though the body of his father was lost, he'd like to put him to rest.

Kate claims that Aaron is just over 5 weeks, when he is actually over eight weeks.

Oceanic Press Conference Extended Footage

What do you think of the Oceanic 6's lies?

Comments

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 am
(1) Cyn says:

The lie about Aaron’s age is the most transparent of the lot just because the baby is growing faster than the story is progressing. The whole issue of kid’s ages on and off the island is something I hope they will deal with as a plot point. So far, it has been ignored in the story. I mean, Walt shows up, looking so different and does anyone say “Holy cow, you’ve grown!”?

June 10, 2008 at 2:02 am
(2) Lauren says:

Can I just ask – does anyone know what happened to Dan after all this? Were they close enough to the island still to be ‘moved’ along with it, or not? Will Dan and the ‘no-namers’ search the Freighter wreckage for survivors? Maybe find Jin in the water alive??? They showed a final shot of everyone EXCEPT Dan – so where is he??

June 10, 2008 at 5:53 pm
(3) erindreg says:

Yeah, and you would think that Kate’s doctor would be able to tell that she’s never given birth (or at least not 5 weeks ago!). About Daniel–they did show him in the boat when the sky started changing colors, but I don’t know what happened to him after that. It’ll be interesting to see what happens there…

June 14, 2008 at 2:21 pm
(4) Anne says:

Kate’s doctor may know, but doctor/patient confidentiality would prohibit him/her from revealing this info.

June 15, 2008 at 1:14 am
(5) Kristin says:

You would think that Kate would have known that she was 6 months pregnant and that she would have mentioned it to the cops when they arrested her. I don’t understand why they have to lie so much when clearly Widmore already knows that they were on the island. I also wondered why they said that Boone, Charlie & Libby were alive. I understand Charlie, but I don’t know why they would have picked someone from the tail section (Libby) to survive when all the Oceanic 6 + Boone & Charlie were all from the front? I’m sure there would be a lot more sceptics out there who would research their story & find some big plot holes. Also, I’m sure they would have all been checked out by doctors when they returned. What about Jack’s sudden lack of appendix? Would he say he cut it out himself?

June 17, 2008 at 10:56 am
(6) Cyn says:

I don’t really understand WHY they are lying in the first place. Do you think they are being coerced by someone: Oceanic, Widmore, etc? It’s not a very good set of lies, so why bother? IMO, there’s something more to this that we haven’t been told yet.

June 30, 2008 at 10:20 am
(7) MTO says:

so did sayid kill locke? when hurley asked him how he died sayid said ‘they say it was suicide’

July 6, 2008 at 9:50 pm
(8) Lostaway Bonnie says:

I don’t think Sayid killed Locke, he just knows that it wasn’t suicide, it was “the bad guys”.

July 14, 2008 at 2:00 pm
(9) Rosie says:

I don’t understand their lies, either. I especially don’t understand the lie that Kate was Aaron’s mother. For what possible reason could the Oceanic Six maintain this lie?

August 19, 2008 at 7:43 pm
(10) ItsAboutBunnies says:

I believe Hurley mentioning Walt’s “taller ghostness” in the finale when he came to Santa Rosa.
Maybe they are lying about Aaron being Kate’s son because of the Christian Shepard connection and its peril to be explained at a later date (hopefully ;) ? And maybe that is also the reason that “Charlie” said Jack shouldn’t raise him (unless he met raising Locke from the dead. I love LOST !) :)

Another theory I have is that Wayne Szalinsky was part of the Dharma Initiative and in the end we find out LOST is the 4th installment of Disney’s ” Honey” series called ” Honey, I Mutated the Oceanic Kids”. ;)

January 11, 2009 at 8:35 pm
(11) Joe Red Wing says:

Wow, a Rick Moranis reference. That’s a reach! How do you follow that?

I asked myself the same thing, why not just say she looked after the baby when his mother died, Clair,? Why leave yourself open to such an easy lie to snag yourself on? They have DNA in Tennessee yet?

I think the kids aging thing is just a fact of tv making that they probably won’t ever address. Kids grow up faster than TV shows can be made. But it was bad planning. When I heard 6 foot 3 Walt say, in his best James Earl Jones, “Get up, John” I nearly died laughing. “This, is CNN”

I’ve come to accept that there will probably be a lot of things that we’ll just never get to know more about. LOST is simply not the show where all loose ends are tied off. Biggest example, Frozen Wagon Wheel. How it works would be fun to know, but that’s all we’re going to know about it: It moves the island… somehow. I find it makes the endings to things like LOST less disappointing, cough cough, cloverfield, eh hem.

January 16, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(12) Rosie says:

“Maybe they are lying about Aaron being Kate’s son because of the Christian Shepard connection and its peril to be explained at a later date (hopefully)?”

Are you hoping that the writers will provide an excuse for the lie about Aaron’s parentage? I don’t. I see no possible reason for them to make that lie . . . except use Aaron as a means or tool to keep Kate out of prison. Granted, she refused to mention Aaron during her trial . . . but she still maintained the lie. And why not? If she had admitted that Aaron was not her son, she and Jack could have ended up behind bars for their lie.

Personally, I don’t think that the Oceanic Six has a good reason for the lie. But if Cuse and Lindehof try to excuse the lie, I will be through with this show. It is time that characters like Jack and Kate finally face the consequences of their actions. And to be honest, I found the lie about Aaron more offensive than the crimes of the other Losties. Because they deliberately involved a child in their lie.

January 16, 2009 at 4:52 pm
(13) Lostaway Bonnie says:

Hey, Rosie:

Their reasoning for the lie is explained in the second episode, called ‘The Lie’. I’ll be interested to know if it meets your satisfaction.

November 30, 2009 at 1:41 pm
(14) Rosie says:

It didn’t satisfy me. Especially since it was established in “The Little Prince” that Kate had created the lie in the first place out of her own selfish reasons.